Professional indemnity insurance provides invaluable cover in case a customer alleges you have provided an inadequate or negligent service. Legal claims can arise if a customer considers the advice, service or designs you have provided have caused them injury or financial loss, or that they fall short of what you had promised them.
A wide range of professional services businesses and consultants may need professional indemnity cover. This includes private health professionals, architects, solicitors, accountants and independent financial advisers (IFA).
A policy will cover your legal fees and expenses while defending the claim, and any compensation payable to your customer resulting from your mistakes.
When You Might Need Professional Indemnity Insurance
In most cases, professional indemnity insurance is there for peace of mind only, but some scenarios in which it may be necessary include:
- Breaches of data security
- Accidental loss of important documents or personal data
- Loss of a customer’s property or money while in your care
- Personal misconduct claims
- Breach of contract, copyright, or a non-disclosure agreement (NDA)
- Libel claims or defamation of character
- Professional negligence (for example, medical misdiagnosis, or a mistake made in an architectural drawing)
For more information about professional indemnity cover, please get in touch with one of our brokers for a confidential chat. You can request a quote directly by calling 0844 209 8310, or leave us a message through our contact page and one of our team will get in touch with you as soon as possible.
Monday - Friday: 8.30am - 5.30pm
Saturday: 8.30am – 2.30pm
Monday - Friday: 9.00am – 5.30pm
Saturday: 9.30am – 1pm